Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Defense Wins Championships

I'm not sure if John Wooden was the first to use this phrase but he popularized it with 10 national college basketball championships. After posting a couple days ago that the Bears would go 16-0 and possibly 19-0, I thought all was lost with 5:00 left to go last night. I was ready to post this morning about how I apologize for how wrong I could be with a loss to the Arizona Cardinals. I was also going to post how the only loss for the 1985 Bears was on Monday night and there was no need to worry, we'd just go 15-1 in the regular season and breeze through to the Super Bowl as long as the Cardinals didn't make it to the playoffs. Well, thank you Brian Urlacher. You saved me from embarrassment and save the perfect season for your team. What a play... you know the officials missed lots of important plays in this game. Punt out of bounds at the 1 maybe 2 yard line, a def. pass interference call on an endzone try to Berrian. Perhaps they missed this one too, because at full speed it looks like James may have stopped his progress but Urlacher has the awareness to rip as hard as possible and Charles "Peanut" Tillman ran really really fast to the end zone. According to a couple people the other day they wanted to cut Devin Harris.... let's just say I'm glad they weren't running the front office, because Harris' return was phenominal and at one point I thought he was going to fall down at the 30 or so and couldn't see Grossman leading a game-winning drive. Thank you Defense and Special Teams!

No comments: